Wednesday 21 January 2009

Review – Cecelia AHERN – “Thanks for the Memories”

Publ: 2008 Harper Collins
Pensby Library
ISBN: 978 0 00 723368 7
Genre: Romantic Fiction; Supernatural;
Pages: 373p
Continuing reading this author
Rating: ***** ***


What led you to pick up this book?
Continuing to read anything by Cecelia Ahern.

Describe the plot without giving anything away.

Divorced and lonely, Justin is the victim of lust which causes him to accept a pretty doctor’s request that he give blood. Joyce is the victim of a tragic accident which causes her to lose her unborn child and to see her life and marriage in a whole new way. In the aftermath of the accident she is given blood. Suddenly Joyce starts knowing things she never had a clue about before; things like languages and architecture about which Justin is an expert. The plot thickens...

What did you think of the characters?
Everyone was cleverly portrayed from Joyce’s not-so-daft Dad and two girl-friends to Justin’s madcap sister-in-law. All believable and all good fun whilst in no way diminishing the pain and hurt of having a miscarriage.

What did you think about the style?

Easy reading of the best sort – entrancing, entertaining and a real page-turner.

What did you like most about the book?
The way in which the unbelievable is somehow made just that little bit believable. Could it happen?

Was there anything you didn't like about the book?

No.

Thoughts on the book jacket / cover.
Cleverly done with little cut-outs in the front cover through which the two silhouettes are seen. But, in a way, the effect is wasted because it isn’t obvious until you handle the book.

Would I recommend it?
Yes, to virtually anyone. Ahern is one of my current best reads.

Totally irrelevant side note:
I do love reading 'blurbs' and reviews. They are often so wildly inaccurate. In the one on Fantastic Fiction (normally excellent) about this book the hero is described as 'nonchalantly' giving blood. The poor guy is scared stiff of needles and is anything but nonchalant about giving blood!

Quotations:

When something tragic has happened, you’ll find that you, the tragicee. become the person that has to make everything comfortable for everyone else.

Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim.
“Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.,” I blurt out. “That’s what it means’”


“You’re the same as me,” Dad says to her. “You’ve got CRAFT too.”
“What’s that?”
“Can’t. Remember. A. Fuc-“


CECELIA AHERN – see A Place Called Here

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading the book reviews on here. And I doubt you can answer my question since I've asked authors themselves, but I'm going to give it a whirl anyway. Why is it that it takes Brit Lit books, like those written by Jane Moore, and Carole Matthews so long to reach the United States. There are so many books I'd love to be able to read but it takes so long for them to get to me and I'm always curious as to why. Cecelia Ahern books are no different, hard to find here in the U.S. Oh they come out here eventually but it just takes so darn long. Which brings me to my next question...Is there anywhere online where I can get them? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Iluvmyairman, I hadn't realised there was such a delay. I know that the US rights are usually sold separately by the author. Perhaps, and this is only a guess on my part, they wait to see how succesful the book is over here so that they can get more for their US rights if it becomes a blockbuster.

    ReplyDelete

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.