Tuesday 16 December 2008

Review - Natasha Cooper – "No More Victims"

Publ: 2008 Barrington Stoke
Pensby Library
ISBN: 978-1-84299-556-3
Genre: Teenage (?) fiction; crime;
Pages: 119p
Found by Serendipity
Rating: ***


What led you to pick up this book?
I assumed it was an adult book – it being on the adult ‘New Fiction’ shelf and because of the apparent simplicity of the story I though perhaps it was going to be deeper than the obvious. I still haven't decided whether it is aimed at adults or not.

Describe the plot without giving anything away.
A story of teen-age bullying and murder.

What did you think of the characters?
No comment.

What did you think about the style?
I assumed it had been written by a young teen for young teens.

What did you like most about the book?
Pass.

Was there anything you didn't like about the book?
Out of kindness I’ll pass again.

Thoughts on the book jacket / cover.

Average

Would I recommend it?
Not even to a teenager.


NATASHA COOPER (Daphne Wright), to my surprise, was born in 1951 and is also known as Kate Hatfield, Clare Layton, and Daphne Wright . She was Chairman of the Crime Writers' Association in 2000/2001. She reviews books in The Time, The TLS and the New Law Journal.

3 comments:

  1. A very brief review, but clearly you didn't like the book. Good to know, I will have to look at other reviews before casting my own decision as to whether or not to read it. Thank You for posting the review.

    Tony Peters
    Author of, Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping
    www.eloquentbooks.com/KidsOnACase.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued by your review. I've never seen one quite like it, and it makes me curious about the book, actually! :)

    Beth Fehlbaum, author
    Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
    http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
    Ch. 1 is online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I obviously have stirred the beginnings of a debate here. Firstly can I point out I’m not one of those people who believe bloggers should only give positive reviews – as Susan hill has recently suggested should be the case. we are all entitled to our own opinions. The very fact that a book gets published means someone somewhere saw something in it.

    As regards this book, the writing was so simplistic, the characters so basic and the plot so uncomplicated that I was genuinely left wondering for what age group it was meant. Perhaps when I was a very young teen I might have thought it was at least average but I doubt it. But then at twenty one I didn’t like George Eliot and now I love her.

    If you want to make your own mind up I would think the average reader could dispense with it in an hour so by all means try it and see what you think....

    ReplyDelete

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.