Tuesday 9 December 2008

Children’s Books


I was sorting out some children’s books to give to the charity shop and I thought – “Why not review them?” So I’ve done some comments on a few children’s books. I won’t count them towards my number of books read this year – it hardly seems fair!


Shigeo Watanabe – I’m Having a Bath with Papa!
Illustrated by Yasuo Ohtomo
ISBN 0 370 30743 7 Bodley Head 1986
Hardback 22 pages
Delightfully simple illustrations make this story about Little Bear (one of nine in the series) a fun and happy picture book for early readers or for reading to a pre-school child. I’m almost tempted to have the picture of Papa and Little Bear reading up on my wall...
No longer in print there are a few second-hand copies to be found on the web.


A. A. Milne - Winnie-the-Pooh 1 2 3
Illustrated by E H Shepard
Hardcover: 12 pages
Publisher: Dean 1997
ISBN: 978-0603560699
I cannot resist Winnie-the-Pooh. This is a simple board counting book from one to twenty.


There is a matching ABC with equally delightful Shepard illustrations.


William Geldard – The Day the Clocks Stopped
Illustrated by Jolyne Knox
Publ: Readers Digest First Library Series
1980, reprinted 1994
ASIN: B000U70D28
60 pages. The text varies from one to four sentences per double page spread. Although this is ‘A First Book of Time’ but it isn’t a major teaching aid for time despite its enjoyable story and beautiful illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.