Sunday 20 November 2011

REVIEW:- Thomas HARDY - “Life's Little Ironies“


Year Published: - 1888-1893
Where the book was from:- My copy – bought new
ISBN: - 978-1-85326-178-7
Pages: - 180pp
Genre: - General Fiction – Short Stories
Location:- Wessex
How I came across it: - Researching Victorian literature
Rating: - ***** ***


One sentence summary:- A collection of Hardy's short stories – the title 'Life's Little Ironies' having been coined by Hardy for his third collection of short stories.


Describe the plot without giving anything away:- Various stories of life in Hardy's rural Wessex as the Nineteenth Century draws to a close.

General comments:- Describing a vanishing world in his usual brilliant prose, Hardy tells tales as might the man in the inn or, as is the case with “A Few Crusted Characters” , travellers on a carrier's van. In a way there is nothing to the stories but, as a certain comedian once said, “It's the way I tell 'em”.

Quotations:-
nil


AUTHOR Notes:- Thomas Hardy – see A Pair of Blue Eyes

New or unusual words I came across nonce; totties.

1 comment:

  1. I've just found this online, and hope to read some stories in the new year. I've never read any short stories by Hardy. I keep thinking I will go back and read his novels again, but I never seem to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.