Thursday 12 November 2009

Review:- Ed. Jon GOWER – “A Year in a Small Country”

Publ: 1999
My own copy
ISBN: 1 85902 646 X
Genre: Diaries
Pages: 190p
I collect diaries
Rating: ***** **

What led you to pick up this book?
I collect diaries and especially ones concerning the British countryside. This si the second time I have read this one but I only did so for research purposes.

Describe the book.
The book has extracts from three modern Welsh diarists – a naturalist on the salt marshes of the Dyfi Estuary (William Condry), a hill farmer from Carmarthenshire (Patrick Dobbs) and a poet on the Lleyn Peninsula (Christine Evans). Although running from January to December, only the latter is in day by day format (which is how I like diaries to be set out), the other two simpkly summarise the events of the months. The years covered are 1996 and 1997.

Was there anything you didn't like about the book?
Christine Evans entries from the Lleyn Peninsula and Bardsey Island were eminently readable but the other two sections were less appetizing from my perspective.

Thoughts on the book jacket / cover.

OK

Would I recommend it?
There are many better country diaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.