Friday 11 September 2009

Review:- Candace ROBB – “A Spy for the Redeemer”

Publ: 2000
My own copy
ISBN: 0 09 927797 2
Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 386p
Kindly given me by the Canadian Chickadee
Rating: ***** **


What led you to pick up this book?
Kindly given me by the Canadian Chickadee. This is the seventh Owen Archer mystery and about the fifth I have read.

Describe the plot without giving anything away.
In 1370 Owen archer is away in Wales but his attempts to get home to York are thwarted by a mysterious suicide. Meanwhile, his wife Lucie has to cope with problems at her father’s manor as well as within the apothecary that she runs.

What did you think of the characters and style?
Candace Robb qualifies as cosy historical crime and this was just the sort of book I wanted to turn to after reading a few general works of fiction. As always there was lots of mystery, intrigue, murder and adventure in this tale. The historical detail is not extensive in Candace Robb’s books but certainly enough to conjour up the world of the 14th century.

Thoughts on the book jacket / cover.
An appropriate sort of cover but compared to the Cadfael series nowhere near as good.

Would I recommend it?
Yes, especially to any fan of cosy historical fiction and medieval crime.

CANDACE ROBB
see Vigil of Spies

2 comments:

  1. er....a book every six days...??/ can you count???

    or do you have an inordinate amount of time on your hands???LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Saz - I never was any good at maths. I have amazed myself how much I actually read. Perhaps it's never sleeping that helps...

    ReplyDelete

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.